More Info >
The fall garden displays a mix of fading and drying plants with interesting pods and bursts of color in the last blooms and changing leaves. In the morning we will draw and study the structural and gestural shapes of stems and leaves exploring design possibilities by cutting up our drawings and rearranging them. Using a palette of colors limited to primary colors, we will mix secondary colors and then mix complementary colors to create the more nuanced colors of the season. In the afternoon we will draw and paint several studies of different plants.
Instructor Carol Ivey is a still life painter who gathers plants from her garden for her subject matter. Her studio is animated by towering forms of dried sunflowers and the eleven-foot tall stalk of a century plant and vases with a myriad of plant forms. She enjoys observing and painting their changing states.
Please note: This class will be held at BRIT.
$100 members/$110 non-members
Daniel Smith Essentials Watercolor Set (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi-Twv-atgQ)
- Hansa Yellow Light
- New Gamboge
- Quinacridone Rose
- Pyrrol Scarlet
- Phthalo Blue GS (green shade)
- French Ultramarine
Arches Watercolor Pad, cold pressed, 140 lb., 10 x 14”
Or other professional quality watercolor paper of your choice
Sable, sable blend, or synthetic.
Large Brush for backgrounds a larger round like #12 or similar
Flat - 1 inch (suggest - Winsor & Newton Cotman Series 777 Aquarelle)
3/8 inch flat or similar
Angle shader - ¼ inch
Look for a soft bristle with a good spring. Watercolor brushes have short handles, brushes for oil painting have long handles.
- Palette – large white plastic with lots of wells and cups
- All-purpose sketchpad 11x14” or similar (Canson Mixed Media pad is great!)
- Sponge – small natural preferred (such as Artists Sea-Silk , size #2)
- Drawing pencils - 2B and HB
- Medium Kneaded Eraser
- Masking tape
- Painting or drawing board, 16 x 20 inches or larger – needs to be stiff and light weight and must withstand moisture and repeated taping.
- 2 small white tubs for water containers
Asel Art Supply offers a 10% discount to students.